biblereflections

Friday, June 03, 2005

II Corintians 5:14

FOR THE LOVE OF CHRIST PUT US IN ACTION.
II Corintians 5:14

This is the way it is meant to be. We can do so many things without love, even good things.
When I was looking for a project to present to the church in order to raise financial support, God simply made it real hard, and it made it extremely confusing for me that He did not want me to have an objective, a goal, a plan, a project that would clearly state what I was doing and my future aims.
Now I begin to understand. Projects and programs are not bad...if we are really clear in our priorities and strong in our time with God. Problem with projects and programs seems to be that it is so easy to leave God out.
We just get too busy. We have the schedule, no need to seek God. We know the aim and we have good leadership books...no need to sit before God and wait and wait and wait. (God can make you wait for soooo long!!!!!)
So often when I have gone out I have felt empty handed. No materials, not even Bibles. No medicine. No clothes to give away. No candy for the children. Nothing...except for His love.
That was all I had to offer. Nothing else.
I look back and wish I had never sought for a plan, for a project...that made it so hard. Of course, I really wanted to get financial support. Going to the jungle was not cheap...and I did have to support three kids. Made it all hard. If I had had the money I could have gone a lot more. I could have stopped teaching and could have gone more frequently. But it is hard to get support when your only argumet is "God says His church feels abondened and He wants to make sure they know He still loves them"
That was the message I had to give, over and over again.....and now I am so far away....
THE LOVE OF GOD PUTS US INTO ACTION.
The strategy is: We draw near God and then we just start feeling His love and His care for others.
And His love and His being worried compells us to DO something, to reach out, to touch.
BUT
so often we make things hard. It is true that if I had had more money I could have visited people in the jungle more. That is a fact. BUT chances are high that I would have also gotten lost. That as soon as I had gotten a project or a plan I would have started to seek to reach goals. SO I could tell people "you see we are getting things done"...and then get more support...and somewhere in the hustle I most likely would have forgotten the beginning and the aim:
to love