biblereflections

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Luke 10:29

THE MAN TRIED TO MAKE HIMSELF LOOK GOOD.
HE ASKED JESUS, "WHO IS MY NEIGHBOR?"
Luke 10:29

How foolish can I be? Is there a way to measure the amount of foolishness that rules my heart and my life?A neighbor asked me to throw out their trash because they were never home on the days the truck came by to pick up the thrash. So I did. "No problem!" I said. But on that morning I regreated my friendly gesture.There were several bags inside a plastic container. The weather has been hot and humid. I opended the container and the bad smell pentetrated to the deepest part of my soul. Later on I even had to change my clothes and put them in the washing machine!Not only that. One of the bags was ripped so I had to put it inside another bag before taking it out. And in the place where it was ripped hundreds of worms were growning nice and fat. I almost threw up.I pulled the bags out, and to my utter dismay I discovered that one of the bags had some sort of liquid dripping out. The container had to be emptied, and rinsed out.Through the whole process that putrid smell filled the air.I really regret having said yes.Well, at least it is now done. It is over with. The trash is gone. I threw it out. The collector came by. It is gone. It has been thrown out.But the memory is not gone.
I cannot erase it. It sticks to my head. I wonder at my foolishness.
Why do I hang on to the trash (sin) in my heart?
and not only that I even attempt to justify myself!
I really try to make myself look good!!!!
No wonder Jesus called me a hypocrite. I open my heart and way before even seeing inside or reaching in I can feel the putrid smell. Yet so many days go by without me throwing out the trash. I hang on to it, as if were some sort of treasure, something that will bring forth life...when it only rots.
A rotten heart, that is what I have.
"Jesus, forgive me!
Your most foolish one!
The one that hangs on to the trash in her heart!forgive me. Jesus, why don't you throw me out?"I earnestly wonder. I look at the mess and wonder "why doesn't He throw me out?"He smiles at my foolish question, His tenderness gives me hope.

"My little one,Why should I throw YOU out? I love you! I paid a high price to be by your side!You are the container. I do not want to throw you out, but I would really appreciate it if you threw the trash out.If you would clean your heart, so it would not smell ...After you throw the trash out (confess your sins)I will wash you with my blood, so you will have a fragant smell unto me and unto Father God"

Such love, such tendreness.
No angry shouts or frustrated sighs at my foolishness.

"Yes God, I do want a new heart.A heart that you may uncover and find treasures inside.
May you find it full of beauty, of life.Yes God, I do want to take the trash out. Search my heart, take it out!
God, my friend, I want a heart that smells like a garden of roses.
I want a heart that fills your heart with songs, like the songs of the early morning birds.
I want a heart that is soft, so you may walk in it barefeet, like when I walk on the beach.
I want a heart that you may see, and be reminded of the tulips in the spring.
I want a heart that is colorful, as the sunsets in the sky.
I want a heart that is humble, as the full moon in the night. (knowing its light comes from another)
I want you to look at my heart, and then look at the cross, to consider the cost and say:"it was worthwhile"
Father God this is my desire.I do want that heart.
I do want to take the journey that will get me that heart.
Give me grace to walk in such a path...to see my sin, to accept it and to reject it- to throw it out.
I do want that heart.
In Jesus' precious name I pray...I need a new heart.
Amen.