biblereflections

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

I Timothy 2:12

FOR I DO NOT ALLOW A WOMAN TO TEACH,OR TO EXERCISE
AUTHORITY OVER MEN.
I Timothy 2:12

My sister also had questions on this issue.
It is true, I am a woman.
And I truly believe that men should be the ones to have the authority.
But we must face reality.
Men are too distracted. They have decided that church, prayer, and fasting is ok for their wives; but it is not their task.
The large numbers of women having to rear their children on their own is something we cannot ignore. Fathers have decided to leave their place of authority because it is too big a responsability and well, life is more fun if you leave the load on the "submissive" wife. (the word submissive is often used the wrong way, but I will not stop to analyse this now)
Even when the father is present, he is often more a burden than a good leader. Even in christian homes. Are women supposed to abandon their children because their husbands do not take their rightful place of authority?
Same happens in the church. Men are absent. Men do not care to carry "the children" around. Somebody has to do the job.
The moment enough men are around taking care of the leadership- I will sit down.

"But, Bea- does God agree?"
Well, I will tell you of a time when I was sent to the jungle. This was on another trip.
I arrived to an indigenous zone. (CaviveƱos)
We had traveled several days. And on this specific day we had to be on a canoe and then
we had to walk through the jungle.
By the time we arrived we were drained.
Somebody opened the church building and allowed us to sit in the shade while he went to
get the church leaders.
My "team" found the church benches comfortable enough to take a nap.
My "team" was composed of: an old man- owner of the canoe
and three teen agers, the oldest 13.
The leaders finally arrived. They were nice and clean, so I knew they had bathed before
coming to meet me.
The kids woke up and greeted and then left to explore.
I stood there.
Drained and sweaty. Wearing boots, kacki pants and a long sleeve shirt (mosquitoe bites...)
The men sat across from me. A huge space between us. Five men. Dark and serious.

I took a deep breath, and looked at God.
Indian men, do not hear women. That is a fact.
I swallowed hard.
God took my hand and told me "say each word that I whisper into your ear"
I obeyed (take a note of that)
this was more or less the intruduction:
"Dear brothers,
First of all allow me to apologize for being a woman.
God tried to get much better candidates to come, but the men would not obey.
And because He needed the message delivered at once He decided to use me.
BUT if one of the men He spoke to would have obeyed, He would be here-instead of me."

Hard on my ego. But I knew it was true.
Peace filled the air. We all knew that it was true.

The message was one of encouragement.
The message was extremely important- I did not understand until afterwars how important my obedience and the message were.
I had prophetic word for each one. Each beautiful.
but when I prayed for the leader I knew I was before a king.
Huge respect filled my heart....what a privilege...what a privilege....wow
(glad some men were too lazy to obey)
God told the king:
"My son do not be afraid.
Tomorrow you face a giagiant, but you will kill Him.
Remember David?
He killed bears before killing the giagiant
You, my son, have killed tigers. Be encouraged, be bold-
tomorrow you will kill the giagiant."

Afterwards I was told that He had asked all the leaders of the his people to gather, to ask them to repent and truly turn to God. They had once walked down the path of life, but now were once more walking in sin.
My jaw dropped open when I heard this...
how cool! how neat God's timing is!
How important our obedience to His voice!!!!

God also told me that on judgement day I will be a witness against the men who chose not to obey.
me, the old man, and the three teen agers will stand before them while they try to give their reasons for their disobedience:
It was too dangerous (true, my son fell into the lake filled with dangerous shark like fish)
It was too hard (the fact that the teenagers took a nap when we got there says a lot. It was hard. I got bitten by some bug and got a high fever, had to take medicine and sleep a lot)

I had children, if something had happened to me.... (I had three of my own, and on the trip I took three, one mine, two borrowed)

It was expensive, one would need to be rich to get there (It was expensive, if I had had more money I would have gone more often, I had to pay for my own trips, had to drink less coke, and postpone some luxeries)

It was too far. (It took us about 5 days to get there)

I did not have a map (I didn't either, God guided my every step)

I am glad that I won't be in those men's shoes.

men wake up! it is due season to arise!

Anybody who might be upset by my accepting leadership in the church despite the fact that I am a woman: I will sit down when enough men have taken their place.

I do not want God to use a rock instead of me.
I will go, I will obey.

chuch wake up...no more excuses please!!!!!!