biblereflections

Sunday, March 27, 2005

Acts 8:31

"Why, how can I understand,
unless someone shows me?"
Acts 8:31

This is a sincere question of a man that was reading the Bible. This morning I wanted to share some Bible verses as I read the passages I suddenly realized that one of the persons would not understand them...what a strong reality to face.
I can read through this pages, as easily as most people flip a magazine...but for so many it is complex. Words like redeem, covenant, restore...what do they mean?
somebody once told another person "well, if you can´t understand the Bible it is because you are reading a letter that was not sent to you" OUCH.
I am glad I never met that person...I honestly think I would have ...Never mind... How easily do we wash our hands from the responsability of reaching out.
The Bible encourages, guides, cleanses, transforms, and draws us near God. This is why so many people have devoted their lives into translating it into different languages.
My mom has a Bible, it is in spanish, but very old spanish. I cannot understand it.
How thankful I am for them people that have spent hours into printing the Bible I now have in my lap.
It has been the Bible that has transformed me all these years. God has spoken to me through it, and has kept me company in my darkest moments through it.
The Bible is a gift from God.
but do you know that many people do not understand it?
Who will teach them how to understand it?

I once had a student. After my continued insistence he arrived to class with good news "Bea, you will be glad...I bought a Bible!"
Then he started to read it. And came to class rather shocked with the stories in the old testament
"I had never expected to read THAT in the Bible...I mean that guy went out to find a prostitute!"
I only smiled.
Then he came in another day. "I am upset with you, because an old lady just told me that the right way to study the Bible was by reading the new testament first...or else I may get dismayed because the old testament is so rough!"
I only smiled.
Then he returned a couple of days later: "Bea!!!
I was reading Mathew, and Jesus...I mean he is real rough!"
Yes, He is. I guess this is why we do not teach people to read the Bible. We do not want them to drop out from church. It is a fact, when Jesus spoke there came a time when tons of people turned back saying "these is a hard message, who can stand it?"
So why do I insist in people reading it???
Because it is the only way to grow up as a son of God. With no Bible, people never grow. The first storm comes into their lives and they are gone and gone for good. "God did not hear my prayer...chau!"

This is why I insist you read your Bible. It will help you grow up. I often tell people...do not worry about what you do not understand...worry about what you do understand!!
My friend, how I wish I could be by your side and explain the word covenant. How I wish I could show you that Moses was first and years later Jesus came around. How I wish that I could sit by your side and show you how to look the verses up...this is a chapter, and this is a verse.
But I can´t, cause I am so far. so I write these studies in hope that you will get some light and in hope that you will see that opening your Bible is not at all hard.
And I pray that God may give you understanding
of the things you read. He is a good teacher.
Trust HIM, but please open your Bible and read!

and I pray that once you do understand, you will take the time, to show someone else how to read it, remembering that time, when for you it was hard.