biblereflections

Sunday, March 27, 2005

Luke 2:34-35

BEHOLD, THIS CHILD IS DESTINED FOR THE FALL
AND FOR THE RISE OF MANY IN ISRAEL,
AND FOR A SIGN THAT SHALL BE CONTRADICTED...
THAT THE THOUGHTS OF MANY HEARTS MAY BE
REVEALED.
Luke 2:34-35

This child is referred to Jesus. I really don´t know if Mary and Joseph understood such a prophesy.

A sign that shall be contradicted...that means that Jesus would creat opposition.
I bet that is not the type of picture you have of Jesus. Well, that is what He did and continues to do. He creates opposition.
What for? it says right there:
to reveal the thoughts, the intentions of many hearts.

It is true. At least it is in my life. A lot of God contradicts my lifestyle. Ouch.
The worse part is that it does reveal my own heart.
He contradicts me and my most inmediate reaction is rebellion. I find ways of decorating it, but my heart is revealed...a sick heart, in need of a saviour.
God on the cross. It goes against all our brain cells. Who wants a God like that? That loves humility and embraces weakness?
And then He adds:
"Bea Gasca, pick up your cross and follow me"

Rebellion just pops out..."Look, since I am more religious than most people I will be nice enough to follow you...but with no cross, I am to thin to carry anything, ok?"

DESTINED TO CAUSE THE FALL OF MANY

We are commanded to live as He lived.
Do we make people´s brain have some type of storm?
Not because we have some type of stickers or something of the sort...but because as we carry our cross others wonder about it, are confused about it, and are confronted with it.
I define carrying one´s cross as 100% obedience to God.
I do not see it as accepting all the offenses that come my way. There are different ways to handle offense and persecution. Yes, Jesus said to turn the other cheeck, but many times He would go from that group of people, and other times He answered back...the trick is to learn when to do what. And that comes from a very close realationship with the Father...that is why Jesus would pray very early before starting His day.
A SIGN THAT SHALL BE CONTRADICTED.
A sign that would create great opposition.

Did you ever see Jesus this way?
or did you always see Him as the one who loved and therefore was loved?
I invite you to meditate on this, just chew on it for a while, and then read the rest of the book of Luke, under this perspective...it will blow your mind.