biblereflections

Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Hebrews 12: 5

MY SON NEGLECT NOT THE DISCIPLINE OF THE LORD.
Hebrews 12:5

As we speak of drawing near to God, of passion for Jesus and all of that we forget to mention the discipline of God. We do.
Of course I wonder how I would have reacted if somebody had told me "the fastest way to get closer to God is by accepting His discipline." Maybe I even did hear it some time or the other...but I quickly pushed such an idea aside.
I could pray for hours, fast for days, go out on mission trips and all of that...but accept His discipline?
I accepted only the necessary amount that would make me seem spiritual before others. And humans loved to play the game along with me. I do not really believe I totally fooled everybody, some yes. But others chose to relax and not make a big fuss. I cannot judge, but I largely suspect that it was out of an unspoken agreement:
"I will not confront you, but remember not to confront me"
Yet others, the wiser ones, just stepped aside because they saw my pride and new it would be a waste of time trying to correct me. "Let God and life give her the necessary blows to make her teachable, then we shall talk," they were smart.
I was self indulging with my own stubborness, rebelliousnes and pride...all along thinking I was so cool, since I had outsmarted God and the system. What a laugh.
In a year of opening my heart to God's correction I have changed soooo much (my mom still thinks there is a lot to be done, and I agree- but I have changed a lot)
Now as I accept the fact that I will be used to disciple others, I have some clear thoughts, yes we need to be willing to obey God and leave everything to serve Him if that is what He should demand....BUT first some habits have to be cultivated.
And the first one would be this:
DO NOT NEGLECT THE DISCIPLINE OF GOD

I have gotten to the point of understanding that His discipline is good, it is healing, and it brings forth life...abundant life. We cannot preach on abundant life without touching God's discipline.
And we must learn to have "one to one" talks with God, for He alone will not be fooled by our hearts. I can fool you, and you can fool me, but neither of us can fool God.
So where do I start if I truly want to be a light onto the nations?
Open your Bible and open your heart to receive God's discipline.

NO! Please do not tell me you have done it and are ready for instruction number 2, that would only prove you have not yet understood the profoundity of number 1.

Stop, my friend, stop and DO NOT NEGLECT THE DISCIPLINE OF GOD.