biblereflections

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

I Timothy 3:4-5

HE SHOULD RULE WELL HIS OWN HOUSEHOLD,
KEEPING HIS CHILDREN UNDER CONTROL AND PERFECTLY RESPECTFUL.
FOR IF A MAN CANNOT RULE HIS OWN HOUSEHOLD,
HOW IS HE TO TAKE CARE OF THE CHURCH OF GOD?
I Timothy 3:4-5

My sister asked me this last monday.
Good important question.
If you look at my house with your eyes you will most likely ask the same thing:
"how dare you minister other, how dare you take your stand as a pastor, when your own 3 boys are a mess?"
my sister did not use such harsh words... but it is true, my boys are a "present- not permanent" mess.
Let me give you a broader look into my home.
I got married at 21. And had three boys. By the time the third boy was born our marriage was already facing dramatic strain. Both my ex-husband and I had fallen into rutine type of relationship with God. "The worries of this world"รง(pay the rent, buy diapers, etc.etc) took their toll in our once fervent love for God. And later on sin walked into our home and death was the result of something that could have been a splenderous love story.
This knocked me into my senses and I started to draw near God. I was surprised to find my heart filled with all kinds of weeds that killed all the beautiful and fruitful plants. I started a long process of putting my own heart into shape, and into bringing light into my boys path.
I have done several things wrong. That is why destruction took its toll. I was driving along the road, doing a pretty good job, then I got distracted by sin and lost control of the car. We heard the screaching of the wheels, I tried to get control, but it was too late. The car started to spin and then we just bounced down the cliff.
We are alive. Out of God's aboundant mercy and grace. I often take a deep breath, just to make sure I am alive. With each breath I am remembered of His grace.
I had to walk through 40 days of facing God's wrath.
and 10 months of severe discipline.

Afterwards, God has judged me and found me clean.
His fire had purified me.
And out of God being God (can't find any better way to put it) ...
He has decided to give me the pastoral ministry back.
I will need all eternity long, just to say: Thank you, thank you God.

But this is not my only reply, there is another, one that feels me with joy.
I heard God say in a loud and clear voice:
"So, you have dared to face my wrath. I must confess I am perplex at your love
for these boys. You did not only turn your heart back to me, you did not only humble
yourself before me, you did not only beg for mercy...you actually walked straight into
my wrath, you keep pushing the fire aside to draw near me to ask for mercy for your
children. Bea Gasca I am perplexed at your love for your boys.
You could have gotten killed, you know?.....
I am truly perplexed at your love for these boys.
Bea Gasca, rest now, rest now- I will bless your boys. I promise, I will touch your boys."

So, if you open your eyes to the spiritual. You will see God moving in favor ...over my sons.
It may be a while yet, before you can see in the natural, that which God is doing now in the depths of their hearts. But the roots will be deep and strong, and their splendor will make me and God blush with pride- the good kind of pride. The "daddy and mommy are proud of you" kind of pride.---pride maybe the wrong word, who cares...believe me We will smile (God and I) and tears will fill ours eyes as we secretly remember all those months of fire, and then look at those men who were brought forth- from that fire.