biblereflections

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Deuteronomy 23:13-15

OUTSIDE YOUR CAMP YOU SHALL HAVE A PLACE SET ASIDE TO
BE USED AS A LATRINE. YOU SHALL ALSO KEEP A TROWEL IN YOUR
EQUIPMENT AND WITH IT, WHEN YOU GO OUTSIDE TO EASE NATURE,
YOU SHALL FIRST DIG HOLE AND AFTERWARD COVER UP YOUR
EXCREMENT. SINCE THE LORD, YOUR GOD, JOURNEYS ALONG WITHIN
YOUR CAMP TO DEFEND YOU AND TO PUT YOUR ENEMIES AT YOUR MERCY,
YOUR CAMP MUST BE HOLY; OTHERWISE, IF HE SEES ANYTHING INDECENT
IN YOUR MIDST, HE WILL LEAVE YOUR COMPANY.
Deuteronomy 23:13-15

I will have to say this, over and over again: I have read the whole Bible. It does speak of a new covenant, but it does NOT speak of a new God. God continues to be Holy.

"Yes, Bea, but in case you don't know we have computers...and bathrooms."

I know. But this verse makes me think. God likes higiene.
Last year one of the things I had to do during the retreat (no, I was not praying all the time) was to clean my house. It was a small house. But I kept throwing things out, or giving them away. I was surprised at the amount of things that I had stored and the kind of things that I had stored. They all weighed upon my back.
so many of the things were: "future projects" or "need to do" projects or "in case of emergency" projects.
I kept throwing out, and throwing out, and throwing out.

How is your bedroom?
Your closet?
Your drawers?
Your desk?

Your thoughts? Can God really walk in their midst? or does he find indecent things?
Your heart? Can God really walk in it? or is too crowded and filled with junk?

As I had to clean my house, God would mention things in my heart.
"Do you know why you hang onto this? Because you do not trust me 100%, you keep thinking that one day I will forget to supply for your needs...and then you can sell this"

I also noticed that with so many things cluttered everywhere it was hard to really take advantage of things properly. I wasted so much space. The same happened in my mind, it was cluttered with all kinds of wrong ideas, or irrelevant ideas, or good ideas but stored who knows where so they where hard to find the moment I needed them. All these confusion affected my daily decisions and made me lose a lot of victories. Victories which where blood bought by Jesuschrist for me on the cross- I lost them, because there were indecent things in my heart.

We cleaned out the house and the difference was soon observed by my friends.
I hope one day, they will notice the difference in my heart too.
I keep throwing out junk and keep longing for the day that the Lord will walk in and open His eyes wide an say: "Hey! It is so neat and clean...it is inviting, I think I will move in for good!"

Ok- I know that because I recieved Jesus as my saviour the Holy Spirit abides in me no matter what, but I do want to participate in the process of cleaning up...so He can actually see my heart as a place of rest. I really do.
And you know what, I do not think it is impossible. God the creator is my master. He can create a new heart in me. I am pushing this issue as one of my priorities.

Since the Lord, your God, journeys along wihtin your camp....your camp must be holy.
Since the Lord, your God, journeys along within your heart.....your heart must be holy.