biblereflections

Sunday, March 20, 2005

Ezechiel 47:3-6

HE MEASURD OFF A THUSAND CUBITS AND HAD ME WADE THROUGH THE WATER, WHICH WAS ANKLE-DEEP. HE MEASURED
OFF ANOTHER THOUSAND AND ONCE MORE HAD ME WADE THROUGH THE WATER, WHICH WAS NOW KNEEDEEP. AGAIN HE MEASURED OFF A THUSAND AND HAD ME WADE; THE WATER WAS UP TO MY WAIST. ONCE MORE HE MEASURED OFF A THUSAND, BUT THERE WAS NOW A RIVER THROUGH WHICH I COULD NOT WADE; FOR THE WATER HAD RISEN SO HIGHT IT HAD BECOME A RIVER THAT COULD NOT BE CROSSED EXCEPT BY SWIMMING. HE ASKED ME, "HAVE YOU SEEN THIS, SON OF MAN?"
Ezechiel 47:3-6

I grew up in Mexico. We have the Atlantic Ocean on one side and the Pacific Ocean on the other side, so we often went to the beach on vacations.
Here you find different depths of water too. Most people prefer to stay on the sand, sunbathing, reading, playing, talking...on the sand.
I didn´t like staying on the sand, I liked to be in contact with the water. What you do in ankle-deep waters is to walk along the shore line. Yes, you do let your feet get wet, but only a little bit, only to feel its freshness. The beauty of you walk surrounding you. The wind playing with your hair. The sunrise or sunset filling the sky with amazing colors. The water making different patterns on the sand as it slides back on the ocean. The birds trying to catch a crab... It is a peaceful walk, refreshing.
Then there are the knee-deep waters, you basicly do the same than above, you walk along the shore line but a bit further in. The trick and fun part here is to fight against the current, the waves coming back into the ocean...they pull you tight and try to make you fall. So you make a firm stand, let them wash by then you shout "I beat you ocean! you did not make me fall!" The waters think quickly and get rustled up enough to come and splash you hard "Aha," cries the ocean,"I got you wet!" "Yes," you admit, but add "but you did not make me fall!"
Then there is the waist-deep waters. Usually it is the place to play with the waves. The big ones have broken, but smaller ones still try to catch you. There are different strategies to avoid getting caught by a wave. The thrill here is exactly that, not getting caught by a wave. If you do get caught you get a rough ride. The wave twirls you around, and drags you back to shore. If you would find me sitting on the sand you could assume that I had been caught by a wave. It hurt, I did not like it, but after a while I would be back ...teasing the ocean.
And then there is the deep-waters. You have to go past the waves. Tricky, but possible. Out there everything is calm. Like a huge swimming pool. Inmensity surrounding you. You no longer fight with the ocean, you are friends. You can lay on your back
allowing the water movements to sooth you.
As I read Ezequiel 47 my thoughts went back to all of these. I enjoyed being in contact with the water, I enjoyed all of the above, but my favorite place were the deep-waters. My dad showed me to get there, and he opened my heart to its beauty. He showed me not to be afraid, but to enjoy its majesty and its inmensity. He showed me some safety tricks, currents and sharks...they are part of such inmensity.
To get there you had to pay a price. You had to leave the safe spots near the shore, with their comfort and protection. You had to fight the waves, you had to go past them. And you had to fight the fear of swimming in such an inmensity...with who knows what else moving around you...once I saw a type of dolphin swim real near me, I thought it was a shark...(use your imagination to end this part).
I understand why so very few people were to be found on that side of the waves, but it is a shame. It is a shame that they should not dare to swim in such a majestic place...out of fear for the unknown, out of fear for the risk, out of fear for the uncontrolable...out of fear. They go to the beach every summer, but they never get to know this place. What a shame, what a pity...
Let me share a funny thing, when I was little my dad would call me "flaquita" which means extremly thin. And I was. I look back and think of my dad taking flaquita past the waves. He knew I could make it, but I was so small! so thin!
Back then I did it, I not once thought of these facts. Thin and small.But now I do. So thin! and fighting against those waves!
It is possible my friend, if I could do it...anybody can.
My dad also taught me of spiritual deep waters. He taught me that opening my Bible and reading was possible.He did not give me a lecture on it, but every morning when I woke up, I found him in the living room...reading his Bible. He made emphasis on its inmensity and on its majesty. He never told me not to do it because it implied risks for my own life. He made me fall in love with these deep waters.He gave me a passion for knowing God-through the scriptures. I thank God for my dad.
Just let me add two more details:
1.If you go to the beach you will notice how very few are actually swimming in deep waters. If you wait for a group of people to take you there...you will have to wait for a long time. Yes, a revival is coming...but it is still a while. My friend, if "flaquita" made it past the waves- you can easily do it too.
2.In deep waters you can actually swim, this is part of the attraction. Yes, I could have gone to the hotel´s swimming pool...but it is not salt water. When I swam in deep waters, I would take the end of my braid and suck on it...nice and salty! I recall Jesus words: "you are the salt of the earth,
if the salt looses its favor,
it is thrown out"

Flaquita is swimming in deep waters, you can do it too.