biblereflections

Friday, March 11, 2005

Luke 20:46-47

BEWARE ...(of doing things)
TO IMPRESS OTHERS.
LUKE 20:46-47

You should look it up complete in your Bible, but I decided to write only this so we wouldn´t be distracted. I don´t know if it happens to you but it happened to me that when I would hear Jesus talking about the Scribes, I would automatically shut off..."because I am not in that category, I am not religious"
what a laugh! such arrogant attitude came from my heart...and I still had the nerve to say I wasn´t religious!
Anyhow...
What I want to teach you today is one of the reasons why we do not like to read the Bible, and we don´t really want to draw THAT near to God.
We know we need God, so we are willing to draw near to a certain point. Enough so we feel safe to say: I am His child. But once we feel that safety then we set up a wall... "God that side is yours, this side is mine. ¿ok?"
Why? because if we go past this wall we find this kind of verses: God telling us NOT TO TRY TO IMPRESS OTHERS.
ohhhh!!!! But how I love to get other´s attention!
I mean...isn´t that what life is about? Ever since I was a baby I did tons of things "to get attention". I would cry, or smile,I would hear people saying "oh how cute!!!" so I would smile so more...
So now I am all puzzeled. Isn´t life about getting others´ attention? Sure, we "mature" and our ways of calling for attention can be more sofisticated, and if we are in church we can disguise them some way or another so we won´t be called "wordly"...but we are supposed to do it, I mean, how am I going to get people to support my ministry if I don´t have THEIR attention? And how am I suppose to attract the guy I like if I don´t have HIS attention? And how am I supposed to feel self-assured if I don´t have MY FRIENDS attention?

As I walked in obedience, I wondered more than a million times why God would ask me to do things that would turn people off. Not bad people. Good people. The kind of people that could be "key" for my ministry. They were people that could provide contacts, money or prayer. But it was precisely in front of such people that God would "lose His mind" and ask me to say something or do something that would blow their minds off.
I lost all chances, over and over again.

Did you know God is a jealous God. Terrifing thought
"Please Bea, don´t mention it, I don´t understand that part of God...please be quiet!" or "Bea don´t you know that God is love?"

I dare you to listen. Stop for once, don´t argue, just listen!and listen to all:
God is a jealous God.
God wants all of my attention.

Paul says:
If I were seeking to please others,
I wouldn´t be a servant of Christ.
Galatians 1:10

BUT didn´t Paul spend his life serving others? Loving? giving? interceeding?
YES- he did all of that, BUT
BUT BUT BUT BUT
HE DIDN´T DO IT TO CALL OTHERS´ATTENTION.

You see, once more I am talking about the heart. Paul´s main motivation was to please God- he wasn´t in ministry to get other´s approval, or their attention.
Paul went beyond.
Paul wanted to get God´s attention- and he did.

it makes sense doesn´t it?
It does until God asks you to do things that others don´t like...including your pastors, your relatives, and your friends. Then it can get rough. Real rough.

Then you have a choice: Whose attention do I want?
as we think of our decision lets remember Jesus´words:
BEWARE...(OF DOING THINGS) TO GET OTHERS' ATTENTION

BEWARE = danger implied.
Should we decide to impress other, we should be aware that it is dangerous and that death lays ahead.
So: BEWARE!