biblereflections

Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Exodus 4:24

ON THE JOURNEY, AT A PLACE WHERE THEY SPENT THE
NIGHT, THE LORD CAME UPON MOSES AND WOULD HAVE
KILLED HIM.
EXODUS 4:24

One of the Bible comments I read on this passage reads: This whole passage is very obscure.

ja ja ja ja ja ja

So much for the wisdom of men. Bible scholars often reach this point. And quickly jump to "you have to walk by faith". Intelectuals hate this talk and just brush the Bible aside.

That is one of the things we hate about God. Sorry, you are right I should speak for myself.
That is one of the things I hate about God. He makes a fool of me. My wisdom, no matter how high will alwasys be a laughing stock by His side.
God is God. I am not.

So much of Him is obscure to me. I hate that. He makes it so hard to evangelize. He does things in such a way that people will eventually come up to me and ask me "WHY?"
How am I supposed to know?
Why did God set out to kill Moses? Moses was obeing God.
Moses hadn´t circumcized his son...well, didn´t God know that when He spoke to him in the burning bush? Why didn´t He kill Moses then? or at least He could have pointed out the issue, so Moses could have gotten things in order before setting out to be the leader of Israel.
Perhaps He had told Moses...perhaps, I am sure Moses knew about it because of his wife´s reaction, well at least she was aware of it all. Perhaps she had mentioned it before and Moses hadn´t paid attention to her words- as husbands often do. Perhaps ...but we aren´t sure. And Moses was such a careful writer, he loved details. Have you noticed the description of the tabernacle, or of the journey through the desert?
Why didn´t Moses add a comment? A couple of words would have provided so much light!
I dare to think that the reason for such a gap is that Moses himself never got an answer.

No answers?
What kind of God do you serve?

A God that is God.

But Bea, you said God knew all, you said He had the answers!
and He does.
Last year I asked Him tons of questions, He answered them all- I didn´t necessarily like His answers- but answers I got.

And one of the answers I got was precisely this:
"Bea Gasca, understand once and for all.
I am God.
You cannot control me.
You cannot manipulate me.
You cannot create me according to your wishes.
You cannot ask me to submit to you.
You cannot limit me
I am God.
You are not."

GOD SET OUT TO KILL MOSES.
Perhaps this was God´s way of telling Moses, the same things He told me.
A little demonstration of Who God is. And what we are not.
Why did Moses write so little on it and yet he didn´t just push it aside?
Perhaps, because it is so complex to talk about God as God. And yet, because it was this moment and not the burning bush that really encouraged him to obey all the way through.
Perhaps, it is just a thought.
For I agree with the man that wrote the comentary on the Bible:
this whole passage is very obscure

but the fact that it is in the Bible surprises me not. For my eyes have been opened to this
"obscure" GOD
He is God. I am not.