biblereflections

Monday, March 14, 2005

Daniel 3: 32

YOU (GOD) HAVE HANDED US OVER TO OUR ENEMIES,
LAWLESS AND HATEFUL REBELS;
TO AN UNJUST KING.
DANIEL 3:32

Before I share on this verse I have to make a point clear. This verse is in the Catholic Bible. The Catholic Bible includes several books that the protestant Bible does not include. If you ask me why they were taken out I will give you 3 reasons:
1) It makes printing cheaper
2) It is not so heavy to carry to church
3) Since it is smaller we hope people will read it
                                                                     These are not true, there was a meeting in which the
                                                                      books we now have in the protestant Bible were chosen...
I don´t want to go into a discussion on the topic. I have read them and enjoyed them AND I do not see any false doctrine in them. In fact just so you may glimpse at the beauty of these books I will copy this whole prayer, but I will do it on a separate piece- look for it under "Azaria´s prayer."
Sorry for the interruption.
Now lets get focused on the verse:
YOU HAVE HANDED US OVER TO OUR ENEMIES,
LAWLWESS AND HATEFUL REBELS;
TO AN UNJUST KING, THE WORST IN ALL THE WORLD.
DANIEL 3:32

Do you begin to feel the burning fire? Something unsettling inside? Wait until you read this (this is in all Bibles):
HE (GOD)MAKES KINGS AND UNMAKES THEM
DANIEL 2:21

God made an unjust king? The worst of in all the world? It wasn´t the devil? God made this lawless and hateful rebels and allowed His people to become slaves of them?
Well, actually sin played a strong part in turning Nabuchodonosor into a cruel man, the initial sin was pride which made him insensate.(Daniel 5:20) Insensate means foolish but another of its definitions is cruel. And if you read Jeremaih, God clearly states that He had used Nabuchodonosor as instrument of His judgement, but that He was extremely upset with Nabuchodonosor´s reaction: pride and extreme cruelty.
But even though God is aware of Nabuchodonosor´s heart, God hands His people into Nabuchodonosor´s hand. God made him king. And put His people in his hands. Despite his hardened heart.
Read what Daniel tells Nabuchodonosor (in all Bibles):
YOU, O KING, ARE THE KING OF KINGS; TO YOU THE GOD OF HEAVEN HAS GIVEN DOMINION AND STRENGTH, POWER AND GLORY; MEN, WILD BEASTS, AND BIRDS OF THE AIR, WHEREVER THEY MAY DWELL, HE HAS HANDED OVER TO YOU, MAKING YOU RULER OVER THEM ALL
DANIEL 2:37

You will probably notice that the two last verses are in protestant Bibles and the first is in the Catholic Bible. We can quickly say: God did make Nabuchodonosor king- no problem with God appointing kings, BUT in my Bible it doesn´t say he was a bad king. One does get uncomfortable, maybe that is why they took out this verse...Anyhow, pick up a history book, read it and then tell me what you then think.

BUT we can also point out the fact that this verses are in the OLD TESTAMENT. People do it, it is like a lifesaver...we hit something we don´t like, take a double look, we see it is in the OLD TESTAMENT and we sigh with relief!!! OH! Good! "I am not under the law".
My dear friend the books of the law of Moses are Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy. That is all.
You may add: "I am under a new covenant". My friend, a new covenant...not a new God.
Bad news, no?
If you aren´t convinced, I strongly recommend you read the book of Revelations. Ignore the things you don´t understand. Just let your spirit be opened to God as God. A Just God. An almighty God. A wise God, who allows the worst of all rulers to rule AND to persecute those who love and honor God.

I know this is not a "popular message". Let me add one thing, it is a mystery:
My friend, as my eyes have been opened to God as God, my heart has entered into a type of peace that I had never experienced before.And the beauty of my relationship with Him is now beyond description.
So, I do share this out of obedience, but I do it in love and with joy. I share this with hope.

Oh, that your eyes may be opened to God as God!