biblereflections

Thursday, May 26, 2005

Ephesians 5:25

HUSBANDS LOVE YOUR WIVES.
Ephesians 5:25

Last Sunday I went to a wedding. The preacher used this verse in the sermon. But I was glad he started with another verse. He started with a verse in Luke in which Jesus says that men should be careful and really see if they will be able to finish a building before starting the construction. Since God had given me Isaia a few days before in which He declares "YOUR HUSBAND SHALL BUILD YOU". It made me open my ears and heart to the rest of the sermon.
Definitely God is trying to tell me something with this building thing.
So, He says "Your husband shall build you" That leaves a heavy responsability on men. Men are to build their wives up. Interesting. Specially since in my latin background we are told that "behind a great man, there is a great woman" implying that we are responsable for building men up.
Then we have Luke. Here Jesus is telling men, "before you get married, check yourself out, are you really capable of building this woman up? It is your responsability to do so if you marry her."
Then we go to Ephesians 5. Husbands love your wives, deliver yourselves up to them, protect them, feed them so they may be santified, purified and become radiant.

wow. My brain can't seem to grasp such beauty....and relief. It is true, a woman cannot build up a man. Our responsability is to be responsive to our husbands love and correction.
This is God's idea of love, romance...marriage. I like it.

But this morning I was strongly rebuked for unbelief.
And it is true. I look at the rubbles of my woman's heart. ...and it is hard to believe that the husband God has in mind for me is also a loving and caring man.
Perhaps is my latin background, in which women have been abused in so many ways that to consider the possibility of a man who respects and honors his wife seems totally...out of reach.

I believe it is God's intetion to clear up the rubble in my heart, in order to make room for my future husband's work...whatever he builds, I bet it will be nice. God is on His side.