biblereflections

Monday, May 23, 2005

Luke 12:1

BEWARE OF THE LEVEAAVEN OF THE PHARISEES
WHICH IS HYPOCRISY
Luke 12:1

When was the last time you have sat down to enjoy the beauty of the full moon?
It is difficult to describe, isn't it?
It does not have its own light, it is only reflecting the sun's light...yet there is so much splendor in the full moon...so royal...
Grandeur.

As I have been wathcing it for the past couple of hours I have meditated on a lot of stuff, but one of them is the fact that this is a good way to define true christianity.
When we sit long enough before God...we reflect His light.
It is automatic...somehow you do not have to "concentrate" on doing it. Something in your eyes shines.
I remember Anna, a girl from Austria which was a bit "uptight" with religion. Most of the time when we spoke I was careful with what I spoke. But then there was a morning when she told me "there is something about you..." I made a funny face and said "oh, Anna, I am so sorry this time there is no way out: you see, its God!" She laughed and said: "I know."
It hasn't always been so.
Jesus himself has called me a hypocrite....and I was in ministry then.

You see the problem was that I got too busy with the doing.
I was doing the right things, BUT I WAS NO LONGER.
I just did not have enought time to sit long enough before HIM.
There was some shine, but it was not a full moon's shine. Many other parts of me were in the dark.
Now, I have not become perfect. But because I sit before God, well.. everything in me is out in the open. No longer in the dark. Even my sin is before Him. It is no longer hidden, no longer a trap.
I AM, and people know that I am.
DESPITE the fact that I often DO NOT DO.

For example. My niece, she has been with us for 5 months. She knows that I am. I can feel it in the way I have caught her looking at me once or twice.
But ever since she arrived she set up a wall "I do not want you near me."
I have kept my distance. (I believe in respecting people's will, like God does)
But my family has been going nuts.
"Bea, that is not christian like. You should draw near her. You should do this or that. You should talk to her on the danger of her ways. You should DO what good chrisitians do."

The pressure has been high.
But I would feel so fake by doing all of these "right things" when I truly believe that she does not want me near, basicly because she does not want to live up to God's standards, because she has found pleasure in sin.
But then...how are you to reach her? and all the other young people in the nations who seem to have the same plague "leave me alone, it is my life, it is my choice"
I have one strategy.
I will not BE a hypocrite.

I will draw near God.
Every day I will push to be closer and closer to His shinning and burning fire.
By doing this I hope to one day BE the reflection of His light in such a way that people will too be drawn by the beauty I project.
And then, when they ask...I will point to the master and creator of the universe.
I will point to the one whose light is brighter than the sun's.
I will point to God.
and then I will leave people alone with their choice.
I do not have a cell group to fill, so I can relax and let them choose on their own.
I do not have to impress anyone to be financially supported, so I can relax and BE.

Now, I must go on.
How I wish I could have stopped in the last line. It sounds dramatic and passionate...motivating.
But I cannot stop.
I must talk about the reason we often avoid THE strategy.
THE one strategy that will really cause an impact. We will do anything else, even real expensive and energy taking strategies. But THE strategy...we leave behind.

You know why?
Because we must die to our self. We must hate sin in us.
This is too high a cost.
Turnining our back on sin that has brought so much satisfaction is hard.
We are addicted to it, we do not want to let go, even if we know that using it will kill us.

Somebody recently told me "I strongly believe the young generation now is the generation God will use to impact the world."
I believe it too. As I study my niece and my own son I have reached the same conclusion.
They have grown up in church.
They are tired of hypocresy.
They have stood up and have made a decision. I will not be hypocrite.
Saddly they have chosen sin. BUT they stand up for their belief.
They boldly and defiently look at you and say "This is my choice. I will not be a hypocrite."

I have observed them carefully. Yes it is true they are addicted to sin. But something inside of them is restless...they know that God is real. ANd they are not really in peace.
So I believe these kids are waiting for someone to BE a christian.
In order to believe that all they have heard in church is real.
I think the minute they see someone that meets that definition, well then they will turn to God with just the same obstinity. (makes you see tht I have yet a way to go...)

The question remains. God asking:
Who shall we send?

Before you say "Me!"consider the cost.
You must die to yourself and turn from your sin.
AND the only way to do this in an AUTHENTIC way, it is to sit before the fiery God.

BEWARE... DO NOT BE A HYPOCRITE.
These were Jesus words.
If we had only listened...our children would not be where they are.
Good thing there is some time to repent.