biblereflections

Friday, March 25, 2005

Exodus 20:3-5

YOU SHALL NOT CARVE IDOLS FOR YOURSELVES IN THE
SHAPE OF ANYTHING...YOU SHALL NOT BOW DOWN BEFORE
THEM OR WORSHIP THEM.
Exodus 20:3-5

Today Puebla was filled with processions. Idolatry filled the air, I do not even speak of the subject before God. I know we are gathering ashes of wrath... when another earthquake strikes or when the volcanoe blows up, don´t ask why.
Idolatry is one of the sins most confronted in the Bible. It is direct rebellion against the God who is God.
Last year, God confronted me. It was a one to one talk. Nobody around to defend me in anyway. It was God and I.
"Bea Gasca, I will show you a dark place in your heart. One that wounds your faith and makes you walk in fear."
He took me there. I opened the room and found a carpenters shop, there were tools all around, and somebody had definitly been working...but there was nothing on the table to show a finished job.
"This is the place where you constantly try to shape me into your image, into your liking, into your concept of what a god should be like. A god you can control, and manipulate, a god you can buy and can sell cheap, a god you can limit with a simple prayer, a god you can feel comfortable with. A god that is not a real god, but that you long for, because to that god you could honestly surrender to."

I did not say a word. It was true. There is so much of God that I hadn´t accepted.
"This next months, I will reveal myself to you, as the God who is God. After you know who I am, then you decide if you surrender to me."

As I would turn my Bible pages I encountered this God who is God.
A God I cannot manipulate.
A God I cannot control.
A God who expects me to serve Him, and is not willing to become my servant.
A God who expects me to humble myself before Him, no matter the circumstances that surround me.
A God who cannot be used as a lucky charm.
A God who controls the universe, and yet respects human will.
A God who orders children to be killed. (He is just)
A God who allows His prophets to be stonned.
A God who slays with His sword, and takes His own son to the cross.
A God who if I should surrender to, He would have the right to ask of me ANYTHING, ANYTHING.
A God that does not appear in the right moment with a magic wand, to make things color pink.
A God that knows who the wicked people are and lets them go on breathing.
A God that I cannot label and put in a shoe box.
A God that is God.

Every time I encountered this God, I could see His eyes fixed on me. I kept my eyes on my Bible.
I knew that if I would lift my eyes up, I would meet the one question that was being asked but not spoken all those months:
"Will you accept me as the God who is God?
or will you keep trying to build an idol in
your heart?"

So the time is up. I now know the God who is God.
What can one possibly answer?
I surrendered all.
Not knowing what will become of me, and not even daring to limit God as to say "He has to bless me"...
I have seen this God. He allows His prophets to suffer and suffer deeply- just look at THE PROPHET ON THE CROSS.

For the first time in my life I feel really safe. I am truly in peace with God.
I humbled myself before this God.
I accepted Him just the way He really is...and called Him: GOD.
In an extremely humble way I dared to make a terryfing prayer:
God, I want an alliance with you.
I want to be your subordinate.
You command, I follow your orders, no matter what
You the king, I the servant.
You God, me thy people.
God today I accept you as God.

For the first time in my life a simple phrase moves out from the deepest part of my heart, and as it comes forth, freshness fills the air:

"I adore You, I adore You, I adore You"

It feels so good. Nothing stopping these words. They are spoken out of one who has faced God as God, and has accepted Him just the way He is. Their sound is different, and soft.

"I adore you the God who is God, for the first time in my life I adore you, and not an image made or prefrabicated in my own mind and heart."

Freedom is washing me anew.
For the first time in my life I am adoring the one true God, the God who is God.