biblereflections

Friday, April 29, 2005

Ezechiel 34

WOE TO THE SHEPHERDS OF ISRAEL WHO HAVE BEEN PASTURING THEMSELVS!
SHOULD NOT SHEPHERDS,RATHER, PASTURE SHEEP?
MY SHEEP HAVE BEEN GIVEN OVER TO PILLAGE,
AND MY SHEEP HAVE BECOME FOOD FOR THE WILD BEAST,
FOR LACK OF SHEPHERD
MY SHEEP WERE SCATTERED AND WANDERED OVER ALL THE MOUNTAINS...
Ezequiel 34

Do you feel God's anger and pain? I do.
It is so easy to point our fingers to others. These words have been address to me directly by the Almighty God.
For I refused to accept my responsability to pastor, I thought this way God would not ask me to render accoutnts. I was wrong. God did.
He clearly asked me "Bea Gasca, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!?"
and then He told me my hands were filled with blood. I had rejected my position as a pastor, the blood of the slain and wounded sheep was on my hands.
after a long time of discipline and purifing work God has called me into pastoring again. I accepted at once. And I have been truly amazed at the power and strenght and wisdom and beauty of the whole issue. If I had known that so much would be given to me once I accepted my task, things that will allow me to do my task well, then I would have accepted years ago...I am so human.
So, God begins the task of gathering the sheep that He and I will look after. It is a sad sight, fits the description above. Deeply wounded and with fear filled eyes...God picks them up and brings them by my side.
What have we done? I cannot do anything else but tremble. And tremble deep inside. We lost focus. We were doing so many things, concerts, seminars and all of that stuff...but the sheep, they were unattended. We the pastors were so busy that we did not notice when the wolf came by...What have we done?
As God has brought them and placed them at my feet, I have kneeled down and just sat besides them, some too wounded to even touch without them feeling excruciating pain. I can only sit by their side and gently, ever so gently whisper words of love "Do not be afraid, you are no longer alone, you are not alone."
This has been much of the picture in these past weeks. Now the sheep are gathered, it is a small group but beautiful. I stand a bit afar from the group, and observe each one of them with gentle love. An anxious, fearful, hurt, sad, lonely and tired, very tired flock. But each beginning to feel protected and loved.
I feel God's eyes upon me, so I lift my tear filled eyes and meet His eyes. His eyes fill me with confidence. "They will be alright" is the message I read in His eyes..."NOW, they will be allright"
so important that we take our place as pastors...so important to stay focused on that which we are called to do...pastor lives, gently and sternly, but it is a one to one task...
It is night, I do not sleep...I cannot sleep, the wolves who used to move freely about are stearing nearby. I will leave the sheep, I will go out and fight the wolves. It will be a fierce battle, for the pack of wolves having had little attack has now grown big and strong. But I am well prepared, I am now strong in God. It will be a fierce battle...40 days long. It will not be the last battle, but it will definitely be the first and in a way the most important, for as the wolves are driven away at time of peace will follow, peace in which the sheep will be able to regain healing and strength.
I am filled with a never before known boldness, there is no despair or fear. It is time to go out and fight the wolves- but this time I am prepared. My blood is pumping fast and it is burning with rage...too long these wolves have been allowed to kill the Good Shepherd's sheep...
I hear God's voice roaring over the mountains:

"I swear I will save my sheep, I, the Lord, have spoken."